Opener Travis Head hit a brilliant 137 as Australia clinched their sixth World Cup title with a convincing six-wicket win.
The Aussies restricted their opponents to 240 and raced to the target with 42 balls remaining.
Kohli, Rahul starred but India reached 240 only
The Men in Blue entered the ICC World Cup 2023 final as favourites after dominating the group stages with nine wins from nine matches.
Australia won the toss and captain Pat Cummins made a brave decision to bowl first at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
It proved to be a good decision as they picked up a few early wickets and also made it difficult for the opposition to score runs.
Virat Kohli continued his impressive form and completed another half-century, taking his runs tally to 765 and becoming the leading run-scorer in the tournament.
But he fell prey to Cummins on 54 in the 29th over when the score was 148.
KL Rahul contributed 66 with the help of a single boundary, but India could only make 240 in 50 overs.
Mitchell Starc and Cummins were the best bowlers for the Aussies as they took five wickets between them.
Head’s masterclass fires Australia to victory
The visitors looked to be in massive trouble when Mohammed Shami and Jasprit Bumrah dismissed David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, and Steve Smith early.
But then Head and Marnus Labuschagne built a solid partnership to bring the momentum back on their side.
Head was particularly impressive as he smashed 15 boundaries and four sixers to score 137 in one of the best World Cup final innings.
The 29-year-old’s 192-stand with Labuschagne ultimately led Australia to a comfortable six-wicket victory with 42 balls remaining.
The Pat Cummins-led side made a disappointing start to the ICC World Cup 2023, losing their first two matches to India and South Africa.
But they launched a stunning comeback by winning their next seven games and securing a place in the semi-final.
Australia took their revenge against the Proteas in the last four and then against India in the final, claiming a record sixth World Cup title.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title