Virat Kohli has equalled Sachin Tendulkar’s world record of 49 ODI hundreds after hitting a century against South Africa in the ICC World Cup 2023 on Sunday.
The 35-year-old, who boasts more than 13,000 ODI runs, reached the milestone in 277 innings in the format. While Tendulkar completed his 49th hundred in his 451st innings.
The former Indian cricketer congratulated Kohli on social media and praised his performance at the Eden Gardens.
Kohli was at the top of his game on Sunday as he remained unbeaten on 101 to help India to a formidable 327 target.
Shreyas Iyer and Rohit Sharma also made important contributions but it was Kohli who defied the South African bowlers until the end.
The right-hander batted responsibly and completed his century in the 49th over with the help of 10 boundaries.
In response, the Proteas were all bowled out for just 83, with all of their batsmen disappointing.
Marco Jansen was South Africa’s top-scorer on 14, with only four of their players managing to reach double figures.
Ravindra Jadeja was the star bowler for India as he picked up five scalps conceding just 33 runs in his nine overs.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Shami and Kuldeep Yadav claimed two wickets each as the Men in Blue claimed an emphatic 243-run victory.
South Africa were expected to provide a tough competition for the Rohit Sharma-led side at the Eden Gardens considering their brilliant form in the tournament.
But the Proteas’ spectacular batting collapse saw them suffering a humiliating defeat in the 37th ODI of the ICC World Cup 2023.
India are currently top of the standings having won all their eight matches.
The Men in Blue had already qualified for the semi-final after their victory against Sri Lanka on Thursday. But they boosted their confidence with a huge win over South Africa.
Don’t miss a moment of the action! Check out our cricket live streams page to follow the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title