The ICC World Cup 2023 continues on Thursday as England take on Sri Lanka at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.
The match is extremely crucial for both teams as the loser will likely miss out on the semi-final of the tournament.
England were regarded as one of the top favourites to win the World Cup but they have endured a disappointing campaign so far.
They have won only one of their four matches so far, with the solitary victory coming against Bangladesh in Dharamsala thanks to Dawid Malan’s terrific 140 knock.
New Zealand completely outplayed them in the tournament opener, with the 2019 finalists racing to the 283 target with an incredible nine wickets in hand.
But the most embarrassing defeat for Jos Buttler-led side came against Afghanistan as the defending champions fell an astonishing 69 runs short while chasing the target of 285.
That humiliating loss didn’t spark a comeback against South Africa last week. In fact, the margin of defeat against the Proteas on Saturday was 229 runs, with the Three Lions perishing on 170 while chasing the mammoth 400 target.
England will now square off with Sri Lanka knowing the remainder of their group stage matches will be a mere formality if they fail to win.
The Lankans haven’t fared any better than their opponents on Thursday as they have also picked up just two points from their opening four matches.
They suffered three consecutive defeats at the hands of South Africa, Pakistan and Australia before registering their first victory against the Netherlands.
Sadeera Samarawickrama inspired the Lions to a five-wicket success after hitting an unbeaten 91 runs knock.
Sri Lanka will now need to make a tremendous turnaround in the World Cup if they desire to make it to the semi-finals.
England vs Sri Lanka predicted playing XI
England: Dawid Malan, Johnny Bairstow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler (c) (wk), Brydon Carse, David Willey, Mark Wood, Adil Rashid, Gus Atkinson.
Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis (c) (wk), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya De Silva, Dunith Wellalage, Chamika Karunaratne, Maheesh Theekshana, Kusan Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka.
How to Watch?
England vs Sri Lanka prediction
Both teams have been struggling massively in the tournament and face an early World Cup elimination. But we are backing England for victory on Thursday at the the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium. We expect English batters to finally show what they are capable of against the weak bowling unit of Sri Lanka.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title