The ICC World Cup 2023 continues on Monday as Australia take on Sri Lanka at the Ekana Sports City in Lucknow.
The Aussies have made a terrible start to the tournament, losing their opening two matches to be second bottom in the table.
India bowled them out for a meagre 199 runs in the first match before completing the target with six wickets in hand.
Steve Smith was Australia’s highest scorer with 46 runs, with Mitchell Marsh, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Alex Carey and Cameron Green all disappointing with the bat.
After suffering a few early blows, the Men in Blue raced to the target thanks to superb knocks from Virat Kohli and KL Rahul.
If losing to tournament favourites India on their home soil was somewhat forgivable, then that was certainly not the case when they were completely outplayed by South Africa in the next game in Lucknow.
The Proteas posted 312 runs on the board after opener Quinton de Kock hit a brilliant century with the help of eight boundaries and five sixers.
The target looked achievable but the Aussies once again provided a disappointing batting display.
The whole team perished for only 177 as South Africa won the match by an incredible 134 runs.
Australia will now be eyeing a comeback in the tournament by defeating Sri Lanka on Monday.
The Lions have also made a similar start to the ICC World Cup 2023 as they are yet to pick up a point in the competition.
The Proteas put together a mammoth 428 target and in response, the Dasun Shanaka-led side could only make 326 with Charith Asalanka their top scorer on 79.
The Lions looked in a great position for victory in the following match against Pakistan when they posted a 344 runs target at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium.
But centuries from Abdullah Shafique and Mohammad Rizwan condemned the 1996 world champions to another defeat in the World Cup.
Australia vs Sri Lanka predicted playing XI
Australia: David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Josh Inglis (wk), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood
Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis, Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka (c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, Dilshan Madushanka
How to Watch?
Fans can enjoy the Australia vs Sri Lanka match, as well as all other games of the ICC World Cup 2023, via cricket live streams.
Australia vs Sri Lanka prediction
The Aussies have been far from their best in the tournament so far, but the team boasts some world-class players in their ranks. We expect them to return to winning ways against Sri Lanka, who look weak in the bowling department.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title