New Zealand defeated Bangladesh by eight wickets on Friday to record their third successive win in the ICC World Cup 2023.
The Kiwis comfortably chased down the Tigers’ 246 runs target thanks to the impressive batting performances from Kane Williamson and Daryl Mitchell.
Experienced duo shine for Bangladesh
New Zealand came into the match on the back of superb victories over England and Netherlands.
After winning the toss at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, captain Kane Williamson opted to bowl first.
The Kiwis made a sensational start as they took a wicket on the first bowl of the first over.
Liton Das wanted to make an aggressive start but his shot off Trent Boult only went straight into the hands of Matt Henry.
Lockie Ferguson then took the scalp of Tanzid Hasan on 16 before also dismissing Mehidy Hasan, who played a 30-run knock.
Najmul Hossain Shanto also failed to stay long at the crease as Bangladesh found themselves massively struggling at 56-4.
But experienced batters Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim built a solid partnership to bring them back in the game.
Shakib hit 40 off 51 balls while Mushfiqur played a 66 runs knock with the help of six boundaries and two sixers.
After the two departed, Mahmudullah took charge, smashing an unbeaten 41 runs and helping the Tigers reach 245 in 50 overs.
Comfortable chase for New Zealand
The Kiwis lost Rachin Ravindra early on, with the left-handed batsman edging Mustafizur Rahman’s bowl to wicket-keeper Mushfiqur Rahim.
However, Bangladesh couldn’t generate a lot of pressure as Devon Conway and Kane Williamson created a good partnership.
Conway, who scored an incredible 152 against England, was dismissed on 45 by Shakib in the 22nd over.
But New Zealand comfortably sealed victory by eight wickets, with Williamson hitting 78 and Daryl Mitchell contributing 89.
The latest victory has seen the 2019 finalists climb to the top of the ICC World Cup 2023 standings.
They are now top favourites to make it to the semi-final of the prestigious competition.
Meanwhile, Bangladesh need a big result to get their World Cup campaign back on track.
We don’t think they will be able to pull off that result in their next game when India will be their opponents.
Don’t miss a moment of the action! Check out our cricket live streams page to follow the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title