Pakistan chased down Sri Lanka’s 345-run target in their second ICC World Cup 2023 match to set a new record in the tournament.
Mohammad Rizwan and Abdullah Shafique hit brilliant centuries as the Green Shirts made the highest successful chase in World Cup history.
The latest victory means Babar Azam-led side have claimed two wins in as many matches, with their first success coming against the Netherlands last week.
Mendis and Samarawickrama helped Sri Lanka to mammoth target
Pakistan bowlers were on top in the early exchanges of the match played at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad.
Shaheen Shah Afridi and Hassan Ali kept things tight and delivered an early breakthrough by dismissing Kusal Perera.
But Pathun Nissanka and Kusal Mendis soon settled and started hitting fours and sixes to all parts of the ground.
Nissanka departed just after completing his half-century, with the 25-year-old putting Shadab Khan’s bowl straight into Abdullah Shafique’s hands.
But Mendis put together another brilliant partnership with Sadeera Samarawickrama, with the duo helping their team to a big total.
Hassan Ali finally dismissed Mendis in the 29th over but not before he made a superb 122 runs knock.
The Green Shirts kept taking regular wickets but Smarawicrama’s century meant the Lankan Lions posted 344 runs on the board in 50 overs.
Shafique and Rizwan shine for Pakistan
The Green Shirts made a very poor start to the chase, losing two wickets very early.
Imam-ul-Haq continued his disappointing form as he lost his wicket to Dilshan Madushanka on just 12.
Babar Azam once again failed to meet expectations, departing the crease after just hitting two digits with Madushanka claiming his scalp as well.
However, Shafique batted brilliantly to justify his inclusion in the team, completing his first ODI century on the big World Cup stage.
His partnership with Mohammad Rizwan proved crucial as they took the team to the brink of victory.
Shafique ultimately left on 113 but Rizwan remained unbeaten on 131 as Pakistan chased down the target with 10 balls remaining.
The victory takes the 1992 world champions to second in the ICC World Cup 2023 standings.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title