India started their ICC World Cup 2023 campaign with a six-wicket success over Australia on Sunday.
Virat Kohli and KL Rahul played superb innings as the Men in Blue comfortably chased down the Aussies’ 200 runs target with six wickets to spare.
Ravindra Jadeja and Kuldeep Yadav were the standout bowlers for the hosts, with the two claiming five wickets between them.
Australia struggled massively against Indian bowlers
Pat Cummins-led side decided to bat first after winning the toss on Sunday in the 5th match of the ICC World Cup 2023 at the MA Chidambaram Stadium.
Mitchell Marsh went for duck after a stunning catch from Virat Kohli at first slip. But David Warner and Steve Smith put together a solid partnership, scoring runs at a healthy strike rate.
Warner hit 41 runs off 52 balls with the help of six boundaries before losing his wicket to Kuldeep in the 17th over.
The left-arm spinner alongwith Jadeja and Ashwin made things really difficult for Smith and Marnus Labuschagne, who struggled to score runs.
The duo didn’t take any unnecessary risk but that meant the score moved at a snail’s pace.
Australia suffered a big blow when a magical delivery from Jadeja removed Smith just when the 34-year-old was close to reaching his 50.
Labuschagne soon also fell prey to the star all-rounder who then dismissed Alex Carey in the same over.
Glenn Maxwell, Cameron Green and Pat Cummins all departed early but Mitchell Starc’s 28 runs knock helped the Aussies reach a somewhat respectable total of 199.
Marsh dropped a sitter and that proved very costly
Australia stunned their opponents with some spectacular bowling early on.
They looked to have made a massive comeback in the game as they dismissed three Indian batters for ducks.
Starc removed Ishan Kishan for zero in his first over before Rohit Sharma was out lbw by Josh Hazlewood without scoring.
Shreyas Iyer also failed to contribute a run with Hazlewood claiming the 28-year-old’s wicket as well.
The Aussies had a golden opportunity to dismiss Kohli on just 12 but Mitchell Marsh dropped the simple catch.
That proved to be very costly for the visitors as The King went on to score 85 runs with the help of six fours.
He and KL Rahul put together a brilliant partnership as India chased down the target with 52 balls left.
Rahul couldn’t complete his century as he remained unbeaten on 97 while Kohli lost his wicket on 85.
Men in Blue will now take on Afghanistan on Wednesday while Australia will face South Africa on October 12.
Don’t miss a moment of the action! Check out our cricket live streams page to follow the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title