Karim Benzema is widely regarded as one of the best strikers of all time. Since arriving at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2009, he has scored an incredible 353 goals in 647 appearances.
The 35-year-old also enjoyed an impressive 2022-23 campaign, scoring 29 goals to become Real Madrid’s top scorer this season.
But the legendary player is now leaving Real Madrid this summer to join the Saudi Pro League, ending his 14-year stint in Spain where he lifted an incredible five Champions League trophies.
Los Blancos now have the difficult task of finding a replacement for the Frenchman. Below are some of the potential candidates who could fill the huge gap left by Benzema’s departure.
Kane has been earning rave reviews in the Premier League for years now. His excellent performances have seen him achieve several individual awards but he is yet to lift a major trophy with Tottenham Hotspur.
The England international has been a loyal servant for Spurs over the years but he will likely push for a move to a bigger club this summer so he could win trophies.
Chairman Daniel Levy will not want to part with his most important player but his position doesn’t look strong with Kane’s contract expiring in 2024.
Real Madrid cannot find a better striker than the 29-year-old who has scored 280 goals in 435 appearances for Tottenham.
Mbappe is only 24 but he has achieved so much at such an age. In 259 appearances, he has scored 211 goals and contributed 98 assists, helping Paris Saint-Germain to five Ligue 1 titles and three Coupes de France.
The forward became the youngest French player to score at a World Cup in the 2018 edition of the tournament. He was also spectacular at the 2022 World Cup, winning the Golden Boot after scoring eight goals in seven games.
Mbappe has consistently been linked with a blockbuster move to Real Madrid over the last 12 months. Reports even suggested the Spanish giants are interested in making another approach this summer.
However, the Frenchman has made it clear he will stay at PSG for the next season.
Victor Osimhen is currently one of the most sought-after forwards in Europe. He was in top form during the 2022-23 season as his 25 goals helped Napoli win the Scudetto after a 33-year wait.
The Nigerian was just as brilliant in the Champions League, scoring five goals in six appearances.
His performances have sparked an interest from some of the biggest European clubs, particularly from Manchester United.
But now Benzema’s departure could also force Madrid to enter the race for Osimhen.
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups