However, they made a huge comeback in the tie by forcing two own-goals from Harry Maguire and Tyrell Malacia, ultimately sealing a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford.
And then in the return leg at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, the six-time Europa League winners completely dominated proceedings to win the match 3-0 and the tie on 5-2 aggregate score.
Now standing in their way is Juventus, the Italian giants who have won the Serie A an incredible 36 times.
The question is: Can Sevilla beat the White and Blacks to make it to the final?
The Spanish outfit have been far from convincing in La Liga this season. They have already sacked two managers with Jose Luis Mendilibar the newest man at the helm of affairs at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.
The Rojiblancos are sitting 12th in the league standings, with nine points behind sixth-placed Villarreal.
However, their performances have seen improvement under Jose Mendilibar who has led them to three wins from their previous four league matches.
The Spanish club also boast a rich European pedigree, having lifted the Europa League trophy on an incredible six occasions in the past, making them the most successful team in the history of the competition.
But their semi final opponents are Juventus who have claimed two Champions Leagues and three Europa League titles so far.
They are also back in contention for a top-four finish after their 15-point penalty over transfer dealings was reversed.
Sevilla certainly can beat the Serie A giants, but the Italians’ better squad quality makes the Turin-based outfit more likely to prevail in the semi final.
Using prediction model from https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/europa-league/ also suggests the same, with the Bianconeri boasting better SPI ratings than their Spanish rivals.
Juventus have a 57 percent chance of making it to the final compared to Sevilla’s 43 percent.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title