The two Premier League giants have received a huge boost in the race for the talented striker after the club confirmed he will leave for free in the summer.
The German club’s sporting director Roland Virkus revealed that Thuram and his teammate Ramy Bensebaini would be leaving at the end of this season.
Bensebaini will reportedly join Borussia Dortmund after reaching an agreement with them.
Meanwhile, Thuram’s future will be a subject of huge speculation as some of the top European clubs compete to secure the free agent’s signature.
Roland Virkus said: “We were in open communication with both players and knew the current status.
“It’s a shame that they won’t be extending their expiring contracts, because we’ve both given a lot in terms of sport over the past four years.
“It’s always been part of our path over the past few years to bring in such talented players, to develop them further – and at some point let them go because we can’t keep them forever.
“Ideally, we’ll get an attractive transfer fee with these transfers. Of course, it’s not good that that’s not the case now.”
Big boost for Arsenal and Manchester United
Arsenal are the top candidates to win the Premier League trophy this season. They failed to pick up full points in their most recent league encounter at Liverpool, but the Gunners still boast a six-point lead over second-placed Manchester City.
The North Londoners currently have Gabriel Jesus and Eddie Nketiah on their books. But injuries to the duo at times have forced Mikel Arteta to deploy Gabriel Martinelli as a makeshift striker.
The Spanish boss will be looking to add a forward this summer with his team set for a busy European schedule next term.
The Gunners have been credited with an interest in Thuram but they face competition from Manchester United who look in desperate need of a new striker.
Anthony Martial is highly injury prone while Wout Weghorst is expected to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.
Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen will likely be their primary targets but a deal for any of the two players could cost them a prodigious fee.
Thuram would be a highly attractive option for the two English clubs as they wouldn’t have to pay a transfer fee to secure a deal for him.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Memsie Stakes – A Look at the Past Winners
- Five League Cup matches to watch this week
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Could Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City Go Unbeaten This Season?
- Chelsea starlet agrees new contract ahead of potential January exit
- West Ham eye another European trophy after Conference League success last season
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?