Arsenal and Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Borussia Monchengladbach star Marcus Thuram.
The two Premier League giants have received a huge boost in the race for the talented striker after the club confirmed he will leave for free in the summer.
The German club’s sporting director Roland Virkus revealed that Thuram and his teammate Ramy Bensebaini would be leaving at the end of this season.
Bensebaini will reportedly join Borussia Dortmund after reaching an agreement with them.
Meanwhile, Thuram’s future will be a subject of huge speculation as some of the top European clubs compete to secure the free agent’s signature.
Roland Virkus said: “We were in open communication with both players and knew the current status.
“It’s a shame that they won’t be extending their expiring contracts, because we’ve both given a lot in terms of sport over the past four years.
“It’s always been part of our path over the past few years to bring in such talented players, to develop them further – and at some point let them go because we can’t keep them forever.
“Ideally, we’ll get an attractive transfer fee with these transfers. Of course, it’s not good that that’s not the case now.”
Big boost for Arsenal and Manchester United
Arsenal are the top candidates to win the Premier League trophy this season. They failed to pick up full points in their most recent league encounter at Liverpool, but the Gunners still boast a six-point lead over second-placed Manchester City.
The North Londoners currently have Gabriel Jesus and Eddie Nketiah on their books. But injuries to the duo at times have forced Mikel Arteta to deploy Gabriel Martinelli as a makeshift striker.
The Spanish boss will be looking to add a forward this summer with his team set for a busy European schedule next term.
The Gunners have been credited with an interest in Thuram but they face competition from Manchester United who look in desperate need of a new striker.
Anthony Martial is highly injury prone while Wout Weghorst is expected to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.
Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen will likely be their primary targets but a deal for any of the two players could cost them a prodigious fee.
Thuram would be a highly attractive option for the two English clubs as they wouldn’t have to pay a transfer fee to secure a deal for him.
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win
- This Week In Sport: Tough times for Arsenal, James v Curry, the Kentucky derby and more
- The Week in Sport: Man City get closer to a treble
- Europa League predictions: Can Sevilla beat Juventus?
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups