Manchester City will return to Premier League action after a two-week international break as they host Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.
The Citizens cannot afford to lose this game if they want to keep their title ambitions alive. They are already eight points behind Arsenal in the league standings, albeit they have a game over their rivals.
Pep Guardiola’s side have won each of their last six matches across all competitions, including the 6-0 thrashing of Burnley in their most recent league encounter.
City’s star striker Erling Haaland is in the form of his life, with the Norwegian on course to break the most number of goals in a single Premier League season.
Meanwhile, Liverpool will enter the upcoming clash on the back of a disappointing 1-0 defeat at Real Madrid, thus losing their Champions League last 16 tie on a 6-2 aggregate score.
That was their second consecutive loss in all competitions as the Reds also fell to an embarrassing 1-0 defeat to Bournemouth in the English top-flight earlier this month.
Having exited the Champions League and FA Cup, Jurgen Klopp’s side now only have the fourth-place finish to fight for this season.
Victory at City will help Liverpool reduce the gap to only two points with Newcastle United before the Magpies play on Sunday.
Haaland wasn’t part of the Norway squad during the international break due to a groin injury. His involvement on Saturday is doubtful with Guardiola confirming the 22-year-old will be assessed on Friday in latest Man City news.
Phil Foden has been sidelined for around three weeks after undergoing appendix surgery last weekend.
On the other hand, the Reds manager Jurgen Klopp will be missing Naby Keita, Thiago Alcantara, Stefan Bajcetic and Calvin Ramsay as they are all on the treatment table.
But Liverpool news today suggest they can avail the services of Darwin Nunez this weekend as he is said to have recovered from a minor ankle issue.
Manchester City vs Liverpool Potential line-up:
Manchester City: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Dias, Ake; De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan; Bernardo, Haaland, Grealish
Liverpool: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Elliott; Salah, Gakpo, Nunez
Manchester City vs Liverpool Prediction
Liverpool last met City in the Carabao Cup where they ultimately lost 3-2 after a thrilling contest at the Etihad. Can the Merseyside outfit do a better job this time? Their recent form doesn’t suggest they can come away with a victory as they have lost both their previous two matches in all competitions.
Meanwhile, City are currently enjoying an impressive run of form. They also boast an excellent home record this season, and so we are backing the Citizens to secure full points on Saturday.
Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title