Chelsea aren’t featured in Champions League football today, and this welcome break from the two-games-a-week routine has allowed space for more conversations about the club’s future and which players are set to stay or leave this summer.
Chelsea are reportedly set to sell Mason Mount in the summer transfer window if they fail to reach an agreement over a new contract.
The 24-year-old’s current deal at Stamford Bridge will run out in June 2024. But he is yet to agree fresh terms with the West London outfit.
According to The Athletic, the Blues made several offers last summer as well as in the autumn but they were all turned down by the England international.
The Premier League outfit are now likely to resume talks in the summer or approve a sale.
Chelsea are currently more focused on doing well in the English top-flight and in Europe this season.
Graham Potter’s side are sitting 10th in the league table, with 11 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur.
Their most recent defeat came on Saturday against Southampton who couldn’t improve their league position (20th) despite the 1-0 win.
The Londoners are also in danger of seeing their Champions League journey end in the round of 16. Borussia Dortmund fought hard in the first-leg of the last 16 tie and ultimately won the contest 1-0 with Karim Adeyemi on the scoresheet.
Mount is one of the best players to have emerged from Chelsea’s youth academy. After having loan spells at Vitesse and Derby County, he earned his competitive debut at Stamford Bridge in July 2019.
The 24-year-old went on to establish himself as a key member of the first-team. He clocked up 37 Premier League appearances in the 2019-20 season before racking up 37 appearances the following campaign.
And last season, he played in 32 league games with 11 goals and 10 assists to his name. His performances saw him winning the player of the year award in 2022.
Mount is a top-class player who mainly plays as an attacking or central midfielder but can also be used as a winger. He is highly rated for his finishing, tackling and long shots.
Struggles this season
There is no doubt that Mount is one of the most talented players currently on the books of Chelsea. But he has failed to make an impact for his side this season.
The 24-year-old has started 20 Premier League matches so far but has managed to score only three goals and contribute two assists.
His last goal contribution for the Blues in the top-flight came in December when they defeated Bournemouth 2-0.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title