Antony gave an exclusive interview to reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano after Ajax Amsterdam rejected Manchester United’s €90 million offer for the 22-year-old.
The Brazilian has been desperate to join the Premier League giants this summer but his hopes received a huge blow after the Amsterdam-based club turned down United’s latest bid.
Erik ten Hag wants to bring reinforcements in attack and believe the young winger to be a good fit to his needs.
Anthony Martial enjoyed a superb pre-season but he is currently sidelined due to injury. While Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Old Trafford is uncertain with the Portuguese trying to find a new club who can deliver him Champions League football.
The Red Devils have been very keen to sign Antony but Ajax are not willing to part with him in this transfer window.
However, the 22-year-old has publicly spoken about his desire to reunite with his former boss Ten Hag in a recent interview.
He told Romano:
“Since February of this year, my agents came to Amsterdam to inform Ajax of my desire to leave the club to face new challenge and that some interested clubs would arrive and with them, certainly a great offer.
“In June of this year, I interrupted my vacation and came personally to inform the managers of Ajax, including new coach, about my wish to leave and that they should consider this possibility, because it was a project for two seasons.
“During the window months, meetings continued and I also received a proposal from Ajax for contract renewal. I made it clear once again: I want to leave.”
“I made it clear, I want to leave,” He expressed. “Today, in a meeting with the club I expressed my old interest in leaving. Only this time with a considerable offer on the table. Other offers already arrived, Ajax always refused.
“Ajax hinders my exit with the argument that they only have 5 days to replace me.”
Ajax will be in a difficult situation if they let Antony leave now. With just days remaining of the transfer window, they are unlikely to find a good replacement for him in such a short time.
However, keeping the winger against his wish could also affect his performance for the Dutch side.
For the Brazilian, if a move fails to materialise before the transfer deadline, there is a strong likelihood that he will be met by a hostile reception from fans at the Johan Cruyff Arena.
- Premier League Matchday 22 Predictions & How to Watch
- Everton confirm Sean Dyche as their new manager
- Babar Azam wins ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award
- FA Cup Fourth Round Predictions and how to watch
- Chelsea reignite interest in Everton star Anthony Gordon
- Carabao Cup semi-finals Preview – Prediction & how to watch
- PSL 8 Live Streaming, TV Channels, Schedule, Squads & Preview
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Premier League: Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview