The 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing has officially ended.
It had a little bit of everything with records being broken, newbies upsetting champions, drama over internal investigations and, of course, Norway dominating the event.
Beijing held a stunning closing ceremony at the Bird’s Nest stadium yesterday.
International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach thanked China for hosting the event while extinguishing the Olympic flame.
Famous Chinese film director Zhang Yimou choreographed the closing ceremony, which was a show of lights, music and social messages.
While a few legends bid farewell to the sport, new faces have come up to carry the Olympic torch into the new decade.
Shaun White bid an emotional goodbye to the quadrennial event, bowing out without a medal on his final event.
China’s Eileen Gu announced her arrival on the big stage with three medals in Beijing.
Russia’s sensational figure skater Kamila Valieva failed to dominate the Winter Games after being marred with controversy over drug consumption in the build-up to the event.
Canada avenged their 2018 ice hockey loss by beating the USA women’s team 3-2 in the gold medal match.
Sweden’s Nils van der Poel smashed the 10,000 metres world record, while Ireen Wust became the first athlete to win individual gold in five different Winter Games.
Final Medal tally
Norway reaffirmed its position as the unquestionable king of the Winter Olympics with a stellar show in Beijing.
After a slow start to the Games, Norway raced to the top on Day 4 and did not relinquish their lead.
They finished with 16 gold, eight silver and 13 bronze medals – 10 more than second-placed Germany (12 gold, 10 silver and five bronze).
The United States ranked third (25 medals) despite not sending their official delegation to the Games, while Great Britain picked up one gold and one silver.
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2023: Full squad lists of all 10 teams
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Memsie Stakes – A Look at the Past Winners
- Five League Cup matches to watch this week
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Could Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City Go Unbeaten This Season?
- Chelsea starlet agrees new contract ahead of potential January exit
- West Ham eye another European trophy after Conference League success last season