Sporting events took centre stage at the 2022 Winter Olympics over the weekend.
Norway has predominantly done well at the Winter Olympics along with Russia.
Due to problems between the International Olympic Committee and Russia, the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee) was established to participate in the quadrennial event.
ROC currently tops the medals tally with six to their name – two gold, two silver and two bronze.
Norway have made a slow start with three medals and are currently second in the standings.
Expect them to notch up their numbers by the end of this week.
Norway’s Johaug dominates women’s skiathlon
Therese Johaug, Norway’s cross-country skier, won the first gold medal at the 2022 Beijing Games.
The four-time Olympic medallist is a veteran at the Winter Olympics.
It showed in her dominant 7.5km + 7.5km skiathlon win on Saturday.
Russia’s Natalia Nepryaeva grabbed the second spot by overtaking Austria’s Teresa Stadlober in the dying moments of the race.
Norway’s second gold came in the biathlon 4x6km mixed relay team event.
Dutch speedskater Irene Schouten breaks 20-year-old record
History was made in Beijing over the weekend courtesy of Irene Schouten.
She bettered her 2018 Olympic bronze by winning gold at Beijing in 3,000m speedskating.
The Dutch speedskater also broke a 20-year-old Olympic record in the process.
Her time of 3:56:93 beat the record set by Germany’s Claudia Pechstein at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games (3:57:70).
Other medal winners
Hosts China’s only gold has come at the Short Track Speed Skating mixed team relay event.
Sweden occupies the third spot in the medals table with two gold medals in their kitty.
Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, Slovenia, Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia are the eight other nations to have won one gold medal so far.
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win
- This Week In Sport: Tough times for Arsenal, James v Curry, the Kentucky derby and more
- The Week in Sport: Man City get closer to a treble
- Europa League predictions: Can Sevilla beat Juventus?
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups