Egypt lost their AFCON 2022 opener against Nigeria yesterday.
Mohamed Salah flattered to deceive for the Egyptians as Nigeria won 1-0.
A 30th-minute strike from Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho was enough to earn Nigeria all three points in their group-stage opener.
Nigeria did not enjoy much possession but were the more dangerous side, taking 15 shots compared to Egypt’s four.
Much of the talk before the match was about Mohamed Salah.
However, the Liverpool forward cut a frustrated figure as Watford centre-back William Troost-Ekong did a brilliant job keeping out the Egyptian talisman.
Sudan goalkeeper Ali Abou Achrine redeems himself after conceding late penalty
Sudan played out a 0-0 draw against Guinea-Bissau last night.
The match witnessed eight shots on goal, and much of the action was confined to the middle of the park.
A late mistake from Sudan goalie Ali Abou Achrine inside the box handed Guinea-Bissau the chance to snatch a late winner.
However, Achrine made amends for his error by saving the penalty.
Ivory Coast goalkeeper Sylvain Gbohouo banned for drug use
Sylvain Gbohouo has been banned by FIFA after testing positive for a banned substance and is set to miss the 2022 AFCON.
The Ivory Coast custodian tested positive for trimetazidine – a heart medication.
The drug has been categorised as a stimulant before tournaments by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Ivory Coast head coach Patrice Beaumelle explained that the drug was prescribed by a medical professional and the player had stopped taking it since March last year.
However, traces of trimetazidine were found in his urine, for which the player has been banned.
FIFA has given Ivory Coast 20 days to lodge a formal appeal.
Ivory Coast kick off their campaign later tonight against Equatorial Guinea.
Tunisia take on Mali, Gambia face Mauritania later
Tunisia are currently playing against Mali.
Mali are expected to take home all three points from the encounter.
Manchester United youngster Hannibal Mejbri has started on the left flank for Tunisia.
Gambia will take on Mauritania in the next match tonight.
As previously mentioned, Ivory Coast will play Equatorial Guinea in the last match of the day.
You can catch live action on these football streaming sites.
Read Next: AFCON round-up – Guinea, Gabon and Morocco register slender wins, defending champions Algeria held to a frustrating draw.
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Best Soccer Games To Watch In June 2023
- The Week in Sport: Bayern Munich and PSG win league titles, Verstappen wins in Monaco
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win