Egypt lost their AFCON 2022 opener against Nigeria yesterday.
Mohamed Salah flattered to deceive for the Egyptians as Nigeria won 1-0.
A 30th-minute strike from Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho was enough to earn Nigeria all three points in their group-stage opener.
Nigeria did not enjoy much possession but were the more dangerous side, taking 15 shots compared to Egypt’s four.
Much of the talk before the match was about Mohamed Salah.
However, the Liverpool forward cut a frustrated figure as Watford centre-back William Troost-Ekong did a brilliant job keeping out the Egyptian talisman.
Sudan goalkeeper Ali Abou Achrine redeems himself after conceding late penalty
Sudan played out a 0-0 draw against Guinea-Bissau last night.
The match witnessed eight shots on goal, and much of the action was confined to the middle of the park.
A late mistake from Sudan goalie Ali Abou Achrine inside the box handed Guinea-Bissau the chance to snatch a late winner.
However, Achrine made amends for his error by saving the penalty.
Ivory Coast goalkeeper Sylvain Gbohouo banned for drug use
Sylvain Gbohouo has been banned by FIFA after testing positive for a banned substance and is set to miss the 2022 AFCON.
The Ivory Coast custodian tested positive for trimetazidine – a heart medication.
The drug has been categorised as a stimulant before tournaments by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Ivory Coast head coach Patrice Beaumelle explained that the drug was prescribed by a medical professional and the player had stopped taking it since March last year.
However, traces of trimetazidine were found in his urine, for which the player has been banned.
FIFA has given Ivory Coast 20 days to lodge a formal appeal.
Ivory Coast kick off their campaign later tonight against Equatorial Guinea.
Tunisia take on Mali, Gambia face Mauritania later
Tunisia are currently playing against Mali.
Mali are expected to take home all three points from the encounter.
Gambia will take on Mauritania in the next match tonight.
As previously mentioned, Ivory Coast will play Equatorial Guinea in the last match of the day.
You can catch live action on these football streaming sites.
- Premier League Matchday 22 Predictions & How to Watch
- Everton confirm Sean Dyche as their new manager
- Babar Azam wins ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award
- FA Cup Fourth Round Predictions and how to watch
- Chelsea reignite interest in Everton star Anthony Gordon
- Carabao Cup semi-finals Preview – Prediction & how to watch
- PSL 8 Live Streaming, TV Channels, Schedule, Squads & Preview
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Premier League: Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview