Cameroon made the perfect start to the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations.
The hosts secured a 2-1 comeback victory against Burkina Faso in the first match of the tournament.
Two penalties from captain Vincent Aboubakar helped Cameroon grab three points.
Their next match will be against Ethiopia on January 13.
Burkina Faso were hit by COVID-19 absentees before their first match.
Head coach Kamou Malo, along with Edmond Tapsoba, Oula Abass Traore, Soumaila Ouattaram Saidou Simpore, Aboubacar Dango, and three other members of staff tested positive and were isolated away from the squad.
Senegal make winning start despite COVID-19 outbreak
Another team plagued by COVID-19 is Senegal.
Edouard Mendy, Kalidou Koulibaly and Famara Diedhiou all missed Senegal’s first game against Zimbabwe.
However, a 97th-minute penalty from Sadio Mane helped the AFCON favourites get off to a winning start earlier today.
Senegal dominated possession, but Zimbabwe used counter-attacks well to create chances for themselves.
Senegal’s next opponent will be Guinea on January 14.
Guinea takes on Malawi next
Two matches kick off simultaneously in the second half on Day 2 of AFCON 2022.
Guinea take on Malawi in one match with heavyweights Morocco and Ghana facing each other in the other encounter.
The final match tonight will be the late-night kick-off between Comoros and Gabon.
Gabon captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has not played football since his disciplinary episode with Arsenal.
However, he will be unable to take part in the first match as he has tested positive for COVID-19.
Read Next: Chelsea need to pay €10 million more to land Barcelona star.
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win
- This Week In Sport: Tough times for Arsenal, James v Curry, the Kentucky derby and more
- The Week in Sport: Man City get closer to a treble
- Europa League predictions: Can Sevilla beat Juventus?
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups