Manchester City defender Joao Cancelo fought off four armed men during a home robbery earlier this week.
The robbers inflicted a cut above his eye and left with all the jewellery in his house.
Cancelo posted an image of his face on his Instagram story in the early hours of Friday morning to share the details of the incident.
He wrote on Instagram: “Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family.
“When you show resistance, this is what happens.
“They managed to take all my jewellery and leave me with my face in this state.”
City issued a statement expressing their grief over the incident and confirmed they are liaising with local police to investigate the “serious matter”.
No updates have been issued on whether Cancelo will be available to play against Arsenal tomorrow at the Emirates Stadium.
Cancelo currently resides in Manchester with his partner Daniela and baby daughter Alicia.
The 2021-22 season is already proving to be a tough one for footballers, who are having to play regularly despite the rampant outbreak of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus in the United Kingdom.
The added stress of dealing with violent incidents such as these might inflict further mental scarring on these already tired professionals.
Chelsea wing-back Reece James and Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhaes have also been subjected to burglary and robbery this season.
Cancelo’s incident will only add to the concerningly growing list of violent episodes that footballers in the UK have been subjected to in recent years.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Cancelo and his family.
- Mikel Arteta’s response on whether Arsenal are genuine Premier League title contenders
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sports Personalities That Enjoy Playing at Casinos
- Best Football Games To Watch In October
- Kai Havertz performance for Germany hints at Chelsea revival
- Liverpool handed big boost as Mohamed Salah to return early from international duty
- Liverpool will have to pay a huge €60m for highly-rated Brazilian midfielder
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’