New Zealand spinner Ajaz Patel took 10 wickets in an innings against India in Mumbai.
Patel made history by becoming the third bowler in the 144-year history of Test cricket to claim all 10 wickets in a single innings.
India won the toss in the second Test and chose to bat first at the Wankhede stadium.
Propelled by Mayank Agarwal’s 150, the Men in Blue scored 325 in the first innings.
While all the Kiwi bowlers failed to dismiss any Indian batsmen, Patel ran rampant through the entire batting line-up.
England off-spinner Jim Laker was the first bowler to achieve this feat in 1956.
His performance came against Australia during an Ashes series.
India leg-break bowler Anil Kumble replicated the performance in 1999 against Pakistan.
22 years down the line, Ajaz Patel has become the third bowler to take all 10 wickets.
New Zealand, however, has had very little to celebrate in the Test besides the achievement of Patel.
The Kiwis were bundled out for 62 in their first innings giving India a massive 263 run lead to take into their second innings.
Opting not to reinforce the follow-on, India ended the second day on 69/0.
The Mumbai track is a spinner’s paradise.
Much like most Indian pitches, the Wankhede pitch started turning from the second session of Day 1.
While the other Kiwi spinners couldn’t make use of the rough on the pitch, Patel led the way with some disciplined bowling.
He consistently used the marks while using different trajectories for different batsmen.
The Mumbai-born spinner was duly rewarded for his efforts as Indian batsmen failed to keep him out.
Patel will have a tall task tomorrow, as he has been given the onus of breaking down the Indian batting again with negligible rest in the middle.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title