Alexandre Lacazette is in the final year of his Arsenal contract.
Up until this year, it was believed the French striker would leave the club sooner rather than later.
However, the Gunners were unable to find a buyer who met their valuation.
Lacazette stayed with the club and has made an impact in his limited time on the pitch this season.
In 398 minutes on the pitch, Lacazette has scored three times and assisted once for Arsenal.
More importantly, he has assumed the leadership for an otherwise young Arsenal squad.
Arsenal may now have a change of heart on Lacazette’s future and could offer him a new contract.
Arteta was asked about a possible new deal for Lacazette ahead of this weekend’s game at Liverpool.
He said: “There is so much talk. What I can say is that I am really happy with Laca.
“We’re not going to be talking about any of that until the end of the season.”
Lacazette has less than eight months left on his current contract.
With the player in good form, other clubs will be monitoring his situation at Arsenal.
He is also free to negotiate with non-English clubs for a pre-contract from January.
If Arsenal are happy with the striker, it makes little sense to delay contract talks until the end of the season.
The Frenchman will be free to move next summer, which may force Arsenal to spend more than intended to keep him at the club.
If they opt to extend his stay, they will put Lacazette in a position to make an early decision, which is more likely to work in Arsenal’s favour.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Memsie Stakes – A Look at the Past Winners
- Five League Cup matches to watch this week
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Could Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City Go Unbeaten This Season?
- Chelsea starlet agrees new contract ahead of potential January exit
- West Ham eye another European trophy after Conference League success last season
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?