Gary Neville has predicted that Manchester United will not win the Premier League title (via his latest Sky Sports podcast).
The Red Devils brought in Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho to significantly strengthen their squad this summer.
However, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been unable to get them clicking.
United have lost three of their last four matches and been dumped out of the Carabao Cup by West Ham United.
Neville believes the team looks like ‘an odd bunch’ and will come up short in the title race.
He said: “They don’t play well enough as a team to win this league, in my view.”
“I still see a group of individuals playing in moments, with some patterns and combinations at times, but still a team where some are pretty new together – Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane, Jadon Sancho – but they’ve got to come together as a team and start to define a style of play.”
United have a plethora of talented players, but Neville has hit the nail on the head with his analysis of the squad’s chemistry.
However, this is not the only factor, with Solskjaer’s inability to set a pattern of play also contributing to the problems.
United’s comparatively good outing last season was down to the brilliance of Bruno Fernandes rather than the squad playing as a unit.
The issues will persist for much longer unless Solskjaer makes tactical tweaks to his system to get the best out of the players at his disposal.
Granted, the new players need time to settle but, unless they are given better instructions, United will never be able to reach the next level.
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’
- Who is Arsenal wonderkid Ethan Nwaneri who recently made Premier League history?
- Brentford vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sheriff Tiraspol vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Chelsea vs RB Salzburg Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Liverpool vs Ajax Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal players excluded, Manchester United and Liverpool stars called up to Brazil squad