Manchester United centre-back Raphael Varane joined the club from Real Madrid for £41 million last month.
The club were desperate to sign a world-class defender to partner Harry Maguire, and Varane has all the attributes they need.
He has made an excellent start to life with United, showcasing his tackling ability and effectiveness in playing the ball out from the back.
In an interview with Sky Sports, Varane has revealed that moving to Old Trafford is part of his destiny.
Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign Varane from Lille in 2011, but Madrid nipped in to secure his services.
“It was a special moment for me and my family,” Varane said. “It’s amazing to meet a person like him at 18.
“You know, after that, it’s your destiny. Ten years in Madrid and now I’m here.”
United have endured a few tough seasons in defence since Ferguson’s retirement.
Fans can only wonder what would have happened had he been able to sign Varane 10 years ago.
However, Varane’s move to Madrid undoubtedly aided his development.
Working under elite managers like Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho and Zinedine Zidane helped him become a world-class player.
Playing alongside Sergio Ramos and facing top-class players such as Lionel Messi also contributed to Varane’s progression.
As things stand, United are getting the best version of the French defender.
They have signed a player in his prime and who can produce on the pitch from day one.
United no longer need to worry about the past – Varane is in their team and can help them start challenging for silverware once again.
Read Also: Petr Cech reveals how Tuchel has united Chelsea.
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Best Soccer Games To Watch In June 2023
- The Week in Sport: Bayern Munich and PSG win league titles, Verstappen wins in Monaco
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win