Harry Kane scored his 41st goal for England in their World Cup qualifier against Poland last night.
The Tottenham Hotspur and England captain reached the tally in just 64 games.
Kane has now overtaken Michael Owen to climb up to fifth spot on the all-time highest goalscorers list for England.
Next up on Kane’s list is Jimmy Greaves, who scored 44 goals. Gary Lineker (48), Bobby Charlton (49) and Wayne Rooney (53) are the top three.
Rooney also holds the record for being England’s most-capped player with 119 appearances.
Given Kane has played 55 games fewer than the former Manchester United striker, the 28-year-old should eventually climb to the top of the list.
The question is – how soon can Kane achieve the feat?
After a run of four barren games earlier this summer, Kane has rediscovered his scoring touch for England.
He has scored seven goals in his last seven games with the national team.
England will play four more World Cup qualifiers this year.
There may also be a couple of friendlies depending on the situation with COVID-19.
Next year will also see a few more friendlies played before England potentially head to the Qatar World Cup.
If he features in every game, Kane could play around 8-10 international matches before the tournament gets underway.
While scoring in every game is not beyond the realms of possibility, Kane will probably still be a few goals short when the World Cup comes around.
However, very few people would bet against Kane overhauling Rooney to become England’s all-time highest goalscorer.
Doing it with the winner in a World Cup final would be ideal!
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title