Former Real Madrid boss Santiago Solari has returned to management with Club America following a sabbatical of 21 months.
The Argentine’s appointment was confirmed earlier on Tuesday and he will be in charge for the 2021 Guardianes tournament.
Solari started his managerial career with the Real Madrid youth squad in 2013 and three years later, he was promoted as the head coach of the Castilla side.
He replaced Julen Lopetegui as the manager of Los Blancos in October 2018, but lasted only for five months into the interim role.
Solari was dismissed after the club’s Champions League round of 16 exit to Ajax after which Zinedine Zidane was reappointed.
The 44-year-old has since been out of the game, but has been handed the chance to redeem himself with America.
The Mexican heavyweights recently bowed out of the Concacaf Champions League at the semi-final stage against Los Angeles FC.
That paved the way for the dismissal of manager Miguel Herrera, who had previously guided the club to two Liga MX titles.
America have a record haul of 13 Liga MX crowns and they will be aiming to add to their tally during the Guardianes tournament.
It will be a completely different challenge for Solari, who has previously spent his entire coaching career in Madrid.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups