Los Angeles Galaxy had reached the Champions League final for the first time in their three-year history and they looked on course to pull off a surprise win after Diego Rossi scored with their first shot on target after the hour mark.
The Uruguayan forward was brilliantly put through on goal by Mark-Anthony Kaye and he found the back of the net after looping his shot over the advancing Nahuel Guzman in Tigres’ goal.
However, their advantage was shortlived as Hugo Ayala managed to level the scores just 11 minutes later. The centre-back managed to head in the equaliser from a corner after he beat his marker to the near post.
With the game potentially heading to added extra-time, Luis Rodriguez made a stunning advancing run from right-back while pulling three players towards him.
That meant that Andre-Pierre Gignac was left unguarded in a central position just outside of the box and he scored from the pass laid by the Mexico international.
The Frenchman won the game for Tigres with his sixth goal from as many matches in the competition while he was also handed the Golden Boot for being the top scorer.
With the victory, Tigres won their first ever Champions League final after four attempts. They will be in FIFA Club World Cup action in Qatar in February next year.
Meanwhile, Los Angeles could not secure their second major trophy in history. Since their entry as an MLS expansion franchise, the club have only won the MLS Supporters’ Shield for topping the overall league table in 2019.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’
- Who is Arsenal wonderkid Ethan Nwaneri who recently made Premier League history?
- Brentford vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sheriff Tiraspol vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Chelsea vs RB Salzburg Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Liverpool vs Ajax Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal players excluded, Manchester United and Liverpool stars called up to Brazil squad