The 14 Eastern Conference teams are currently on track to play 23 games for the campaign, but the same won’t be the case with the Western Conference.
The 12 teams have played an uneven number of matches and Colorado Rapids, in particular, have managed just 15 games, which is four less than all other team in the division.
With the Decision Day on November 8, MLS have revealed that they have no plans of extending the schedule and instead, the playoff qualification will be decided by the point per game system.
Hence, they have decided against rescheduling the postponed game between Minnesota United and FC Dallas as well as Colorado’s matches against Sporting Kansas City, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles, Seattle Sounders and Real Salt Lake.
Elsewhere, the top US-based team in the overall standings will earn qualification to the CONCACAF Champions League alongside Portland Timbers, who were the MLS is Back Tournament champions earlier this summer.
Meanwhile, the Canadian teams in Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact can only earn a spot in the continental competition by winning the Canadian Championship.
Toronto qualified for the final after picking up more points than Whitecaps and Impact in the head-to-head MLS battles. They are genuine favourites to beat Forge FC to the Canadian Championship title.
The MLS Cup play-offs will be held between November 20 and December 12.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups