Major League Soccer side Inter Miami have completed the signing of Gonzalo Higuain after a long transfer saga. The Argentine has joined the Eastern Conference outfit following the termination of his contract at Juventus.
The transfer interest from Miami was initially revealed by FIFA.com reporter Abdellah Boulma last month, shortly after Bianconeri boss Andrea Pirlo mentioned that the striker would be leaving the club.
After nearly three weeks, it has been officially confirmed that Higuain has made the switch to Miami, who are currently in their maiden season in Major League Soccer.
Higuain has been confirmed as the club’s third Designated Player after midfielders Matias Pellegrini and Rodolfo Pizarro, who joined from Estudiantes and Monterrey respectively.
Meanwhile, the former Napoli man has also been reunited with ex-Bianconeri teammate Blaise Matuidi and the duo will definitely have a key role to play for the club to make the MLS Cup play-offs.
The California-based outfit have managed just two wins from their opening 12 matches, but they are within six points off 10th-placed Atlanta United, who are holding onto the final play-off qualification spot.
In the previous season, only seven teams from each conference qualified for the MLS Cup play-offs, but the number has been increased to eight for the shortened 2020 campaign.
Six clubs will directly qualify for the play-offs. The teams from seventh to tenth in each conference will play-in (7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th) for the final two positions.
Higuain, who has bagged a superb tally of 306 goals and 101 assists during his 15-year career, should provide an instant upgrade upfront for Miami, who have netted just 10 goals from 12 outings.
Miami are due to face Atlanta on the road this weekend and they have the chance to boost their play-off hopes with a win. Higuain may not make his debut, given he will be short of match fitness while there could be a mandatory quarantine period after his arrival on a P-1 visa.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups