Brazilian champions Flamengo have officially confirmed that they have landed the signature of Chilean right-back Mauricio Isla on a free transfer.
The 32-year-old has joined the Serie A holders after a three-year stint with Fenerbahce, and he will take up the place of Rafinha, who recently parted ways with the club for a return to Europe with Olympiacos.
Isla started his youth career with Chilean top-flight club Universidad Catolica and he made the move to the Serie A in 2007, where he was handed his debut for Udinese as a 19-year-old.
After five years, the right-back made the switch to Juventus, but his spell was not successful as he was loaned out to the likes of Queens Park Rangers and Marseille.
Following four seasons, Isla made the permanent move to newly-promoted Cagliari, but he spent only the solitary campaign with the Serie A outfit before making the switch to Istanbul with Fenerbahce.
Isla should directly step into the right-back position after a couple of training sessions at Flamengo, who became only the second Brazilian team in history to win the Serie A and Copa Libertadores double last year.
The club have made a poor start to their defence of the Serie A title under new manager Domenec Torrent. They have accumulated just five points from the opening five games and are already seven points adrift of table-toppers Internacional.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- India handed the edge ahead of the final day after Will Young loses wicket in bizarre fashion
- Who will win the 2021 Ballon d’Or?
- Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette reveals his stance on possible January exit
- Michael Vaughan denies racist allegations in Yorkshire case, tells Azeem Rafiq to ‘move on’ & apologises for racist tweets
- Real Madrid make final decision on potential Paul Pogba transfer