Santos have confirmed the dismissal of Jesualdo Ferreira from the head coach position, just eight months after he took charge at the club.
The 74-year-old took over from Jorge Sampaoli as their new manager in December last year and he was able to last for only 15 matches.
The Alvinegro managed only six wins during this period and Ferreira was axed after the club’s quarter-final exit in the Sao Paolo state Championship.
Santos topped the standings after the group phase, but they suffered a surprise 3-1 defeat to Ponte Preta in the last eight of the competition.
The eight-time Serie A champions opened the scoring through Marinho after just six minutes, but he was given his marching orders before the break after receiving a second yellow card.
With a man down, Preta scored immediately after the interval through Bruno Rodrigues before Moises doubled the advantage for the second tier outfit in the 61st minute.
Preta put the game beyond Santos’ reach, with Joao Paulo scoring two minutes from time. The club’s elimination from the competition has paved the way for the sacking of Ferreira.
The former Porto and Sporting boss is the second foreign manager in a row, who has left the Sao Paolo giants. Santos are currently without any piece of silverware since 2016.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups