Liga MX have been forced to postpone the opening game of the Guardianes season between Atletico San Luis and FC Juarez following a number of positive coronavirus cases at the latter of those clubs.
The game was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday evening, but it has now been postponed to Monday. Liga MX have, however, clarified that the match could be dependent on the full PCR results carried out at Juarez.
“The game will be played on Monday, July 27 at 6 p.m. in Estadio Alfonso Lastras. The above pending the full results carried out at FC Juarez,” a statement released by Liga MX read.
The 2020 Clausura season was brought to an abrupt end earlier in March after the coronavirus outbreak. While no champion was declared, the top two in Cruz Arul and Leon were awarded with the CONCACAF Champions League berths for next year.
Liga MX recently renamed the 2020 Apertura as the ‘Guardianes 2020’. However, the league has been stylishly named as Guard1anes for the current campaign in honour of the health workers fighting against the pandemic.
With the San Luis-Juarez game postponed, Friday’s clash between Club Necaxa and Tigres UANL to set to become the season opener and the first competitive game in the country in more than four months.
Earlier on Monday, Necaxa announced that they had five positive cases in their camp with one player and four members of the staff affected. Tomorrow’s match is still expected to go ahead as planned.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Best Soccer Games To Watch In June 2023
- The Week in Sport: Bayern Munich and PSG win league titles, Verstappen wins in Monaco
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win