Chivas sporting director Ricardo Pelaez has revealed that the club have previously made contact with Mexican duo Carlos Vela and Javier Hernandez over a potential return to the club.
Both players were in the youth ranks of the Liga MX outfit. While Vela did not make his professional debut before his move to Arsenal, Hernandez represented the club on 78 occasions prior to securing his big-money switch to Manchester United.
Vela and Hernandez are currently plying their trade in Major League Soccer with Los Angeles FC and Los Angeles Galaxy respectively, but Pelaez has confirmed that Chivas have looked at the possibility of re-signing the pair.
In a recent interview with Chivas TV, the club’s chief revealed that he reached out Vela through WhatsApp, and the 31-year-old opened the door for a future return to the club.
“We had a conversation over WhatsApp, I reached out. He told me that it would be difficult due to how well he is doing in MLS, but that the doors are open,” He told Chivas TV h/t ESPN Mexico.
Meanwhile, Hernandez in a press conference in January, said that he had made contact with former Chivas coach Matias Almeyda over a possible comeback, but there was no interest from his former team.
When asked about Hernandez’s comments, Pelaez clarified that the club had looked at the prospect of re-signing him and there was some communication with his representative.
“I reached out to Chicharito [Javier Hernandez], even though he said not, there’s an error in the communication. We did search him out through his agent,” He further explained.
Vela joined Los Angeles in their inaugural season in 2018 and he has since proved a tremendous signing for the California-based outfit with 57 goals and 23 assists from just 71 appearances.
Hernandez, meanwhile, only joined Galaxy from Sevilla in January this year, and he has scored one goal from his three outings. He certainly has a challenge on his hands to match his compatriot’s exploits.
Vela recently made the decision to stay home with his pregnant wife amid the coronavirus pandemic and he is expected to miss the entire MLS is Back Tournament.
Hernandez, however, has travelled with Galaxy for the five-week tournament. He played through 90 minutes of the opening group stage clash against Portland Timbers where he scored in a 2-1 defeat.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’
- Who is Arsenal wonderkid Ethan Nwaneri who recently made Premier League history?
- Brentford vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sheriff Tiraspol vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Chelsea vs RB Salzburg Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Liverpool vs Ajax Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal players excluded, Manchester United and Liverpool stars called up to Brazil squad