Los Angeles Galaxy have revealed that midfielder Jonathan dos Santos will miss the MLS is Back Tournament after having undergone an invasive hernia surgery.
The Mexico international has been a key part in the club’s midfield setup since joining them from Villarreal three years ago, but he won’t take any part in the upcoming tournament after the operation which will keep him out of action for six weeks.
In the absence of Dos Santos, Perry Kitchen is likely to fill in the defensive midfield position. The 28-year-old had started the club’s first game of the regular season earlier this year and he came as a substitute for Dos Santos in their second and final match before the league’s suspension due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Meanwhile, Panama youngster Carlos Harvey was recently promoted from the reserve team last week. The 20-year-old will provide the additional back-up for the holding midfield role during the course of the 26-team tournament in Orlando, which starts on July 8.
LA Galaxy have been drawn alongside Portland Timbers, Houston Dynamo and arch-rivals Los Angeles FC in Group F. They will start their campaign against Timbers on July 13 before facing Los Angeles in the El Trafico five days later.
Their final group game against Houston is scheduled to be played on July 23. The top-two teams from each group will automatically qualify for the round of 16 stage of the competition while they will be joined by the four best third-placed clubs.
All the matches will be played at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Disneyland. The knockout phase will begin from July 25 with the final set to be played on August 11. The winner of the 54-game tournament will earn a direct berth into next season’s CONCACAF Champions League.
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title