FC Dallas attacker Jesus Ferreira is determined to prove himself as the top young player in Major League Soccer when the campaign recommences after the COVID-19 break next month.
The 19-year-old made his breakthrough with Dallas during the 2019 regular season and he bagged eight goals and six assists from 33 appearances for the Western Conference outfit.
Dallas begun the 2020 campaign with four points from the opening two games and Ferreira was able to start both of those matches while contributing a single assist.
The season was thereafter suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic and MLS have since confirmed that the league season has been scrapped for a 26-team World Cup-style tournament in Orlando, which begins on July 8.
In an exclusive interview with MLSsoccer.com, Ferreira has now revealed his ambition to replicate the performances from the previous year and make goalscoring contributions on a more regular basis.
“This season I want to accomplish a lot of what I did last year – get more goals, more assists. Keep the coach having me in the starting XI and just working hard,” He told.
Meanwhile, Ferreira was recently named by experienced Nashville SC midfielder Dax McCarthy as one of three young players with the most potential in MLS. The teenager is keen to live up to those expectations.
“I’m happy players around the league can see me as a top young player. That’s an amazing feeling that after he played with my dad, Dax considers me a top player. It makes me want to work harder to actually prove to people I deserve that,” He added.
Fereira has been with Dallas since the age of nine and he made his first-team debut during the 2017 season. Over the past year, he has become an accomplished player under the guidance of Luchi Gonzalez and it remains to be seen whether he can stay consistent with his displays.
The youngster was originally a Colombia national, but he was granted the United States citizenship in December last year. Fereira made his debut for the USMNT in a 1-0 win over Costa Rica in February where manager Gregg Berhalter chose a young experimental squad. He will be hoping to impress in the ‘MLS is Back Tournament’ such that he can feature alongside the senior players in future international games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title