In an update provided by MLS’s official website, it has been revealed that as many as 20 players have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus in the lead-up to the World Cup-style tournament in Orlando, Florida.
MLS have converted the regular season into a 26-team competition in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. With the opening game only 10 days away, the league’s governing body have provided an update on the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests conducted.
The clubs resumed regular training for the tournament at the beginning of June and over the course of the past few weeks, they have been following the protocol set by the authorities. Initially, the players had to undergo two PCR tests in the space of 72 hours prior to the first training session.
Thereafter, a PCR test has been conducted in every other day. In the results published by MLS, it has been revealed that a total of 668 players have been tested from June 4 until prior to the travel to the tournament site. Out of those, 18 have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus alongside six staff members.
A number of teams have since entered the ‘bubble environment’ in the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Disneyland and it is reported that 329 people, which include players, coaches, referees, club personnel and league staff, have taken up PCR tests.
Only two more players have been tested positive for COVID-19 and that is certainly good news for the tournament which is scheduled to go ahead in Florida from July 8 despite the fact that the state has been seeing a significantly high number of coronavirus cases over the past week.
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups