In an interview with SporTV, Flamengo president Rodolfo Landim has revealed that the club have not received any transfer proposals for midfielder Gerson.
The 23-year-old made the permanent return to the Brazilian Serie A from AS Roma last summer and he has since been an integral figure in the centre of the park for Flamengo where he has already made 41 appearances.
It was recently reported that Tottenham Hotspur had made an opening bid worth £16m for the Brazilian, but the offer was swiftly rebuffed as neither Flamengo nor the player have the desire to part ways this summer.
Speaking to SporTV (h/t Fox Sports), Landim has now denied that the club have received any bids for the midfielder, who began his playing career with cross-town rivals Fluminense.
“I don’t know if it reached Bruno Spindel or Marcos Braz, but there was no proposal for Gerson.They usually respond to me, you can be sure,” He told the Brazilian television network.
Gerson struggled to cement a regular role following his move to Roma from Fluminense in 2016 and he made only 10 league starts during his first two seasons with the capital outfit.
During the 2018/19 campaign, he was loaned out to fellow Italian side Fiorentina, where he impressed in his 36 appearances and there was the talk of him signing for La Viola permanently.
However, he eventually made the return to his home country with Flamengo last summer for a then-Brazilian record fee of £10.5m and he has proved a quality purchase for them.
Given his struggles at Roma, Gerson may have second thoughts over a possible return to European football, particularly with Brazilian head coach Tite looking at the prospect of calling him up to the senior squad.
The Copa America was postponed to next summer in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and Gerson will be hoping to represent his nation at the tournament by remaining consistent with his displays at the club level.
The Rio de Janeiro-born star won the Brazilian Serie A and Copa Libertadores double with Flamengo last term. The club have since lifted the Brazilian Super Cup with a 3-0 win over Athletico Paranaense this year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’
- Who is Arsenal wonderkid Ethan Nwaneri who recently made Premier League history?
- Brentford vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sheriff Tiraspol vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Chelsea vs RB Salzburg Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Liverpool vs Ajax Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal players excluded, Manchester United and Liverpool stars called up to Brazil squad