In an interview with SporTV, Flamengo president Rodolfo Landim has revealed that the club have not received any transfer proposals for midfielder Gerson.
The 23-year-old made the permanent return to the Brazilian Serie A from AS Roma last summer and he has since been an integral figure in the centre of the park for Flamengo where he has already made 41 appearances.
It was recently reported that Tottenham Hotspur had made an opening bid worth £16m for the Brazilian, but the offer was swiftly rebuffed as neither Flamengo nor the player have the desire to part ways this summer.
Speaking to SporTV (h/t Fox Sports), Landim has now denied that the club have received any bids for the midfielder, who began his playing career with cross-town rivals Fluminense.
“I don’t know if it reached Bruno Spindel or Marcos Braz, but there was no proposal for Gerson.They usually respond to me, you can be sure,” He told the Brazilian television network.
Gerson struggled to cement a regular role following his move to Roma from Fluminense in 2016 and he made only 10 league starts during his first two seasons with the capital outfit.
During the 2018/19 campaign, he was loaned out to fellow Italian side Fiorentina, where he impressed in his 36 appearances and there was the talk of him signing for La Viola permanently.
However, he eventually made the return to his home country with Flamengo last summer for a then-Brazilian record fee of £10.5m and he has proved a quality purchase for them.
Given his struggles at Roma, Gerson may have second thoughts over a possible return to European football, particularly with Brazilian head coach Tite looking at the prospect of calling him up to the senior squad.
The Copa America was postponed to next summer in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and Gerson will be hoping to represent his nation at the tournament by remaining consistent with his displays at the club level.
The Rio de Janeiro-born star won the Brazilian Serie A and Copa Libertadores double with Flamengo last term. The club have since lifted the Brazilian Super Cup with a 3-0 win over Athletico Paranaense this year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Premier League Matchday 22 Predictions & How to Watch
- Everton confirm Sean Dyche as their new manager
- Babar Azam wins ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award
- FA Cup Fourth Round Predictions and how to watch
- Chelsea reignite interest in Everton star Anthony Gordon
- Carabao Cup semi-finals Preview – Prediction & how to watch
- PSL 8 Live Streaming, TV Channels, Schedule, Squads & Preview
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Premier League: Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview