The 23-year-old made the switch to Flamengo last summer after a tumultuous three-year spell with AS Roma where he made only 10 starts in the Serie A.
He has since been offered regular gametime in the central and attacking midfield positions under manager Jorge Jesus and is regarded as one of the undisputed starters at the present point of time.
According to Goal.com, Jose Mourinho’s side had recently made a £16m bid for the former Fluminense graduate but the offer was swiftly rejected by the reigning Brazilian champions.
The same publication cites that neither the club nor the player want to part ways and the midfielder is determined to continue his development under Jesus, who signed a one-year contract extension earlier this month.
Flamengo are currently going through one of their best phases in their history, and they were able to win the Serie A and Copa Libertadores double for the first time last year.
The Rio de Janeiro outfit have since won the Brazilian Super Cup and the onus will be on continuing the progress under Jesus, who recently extended his contract until June 2021.
Meanwhile, it does not come as a surprise that Gerson is resisting a return to European football, given he was barely handed the chance to impress by the Giallorossi.
He had a good stint on loan with Fiorentina during the 2018/19 campaign where he made 36 appearances, but he surely has a better chance of breaking into the national team by staying put with Flamengo.
He has only represented Brazil at the Under-20 level but manager Tite acknowledged in November last year that the midfielder is under consideration for a potential call-up to the senior squad.
With the Copa America scheduled next summer, Gerson will be hoping that he can continue to excel for the South American champions and make the cut for the continental tournament.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Pro Picks: Analyzing and Applying NBA Tips from the Ladbrokes Blog
- Tottenham predicted line-up vs Aston Villa, Bentancur and Udogie to start
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Burnley vs West Ham United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Chelsea injury news: Nkunku, Lavia and James latest update ahead of Newcastle clash
- ICC World Cup 2023: Australia beat India to lift record 6th title