The Copa America Centenary organizers were left red-faced with embarrassment after they played Chile’s national anthem by mistake for Uruguay’s team in the latter’s match against Mexico on Sunday.
Uruguay players had lined up before kickoff but as the unfamiliar music played over the stadium sound system, Uruguayan players looked around awkwardly not knowing what to do next. The Uruguayan press immediately took offense at what it termed as a disrespectful gesture. Video of the incident is below:
#EPICFAIL #YouHadOneJob – they played national anthem for Chile for #Uruguay before the #MEXvURU #CopaAmerica game! pic.twitter.com/n0XWowdzGF
— klubbkidd™ (@klubbkiddkl) June 6, 2016
For their part, the organizers were quick to recognize their mistake and rectify it, while also issuing an immediate apology:
A statement from Copa America Centenario LOC… pic.twitter.com/9R1QBUZHwd — Copa América 2016 (@CA2016) June 6, 2016
Mexico comfortably won their game against Uruguay 3-1 in a match that saw both sides get a red card, the earliest own goal in Copa America history (in the fourth minute) and a late double-salvo in the 85th and 90th minutes by Mexico to close out a game they dominated in possession.
Earlier on the weekend, Brazil could only draw their opening game against Ecuador while hosts USA were easily beaten by Colombia in the opening game on Friday night.
Argentina play Chile on Monday.
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win
- This Week In Sport: Tough times for Arsenal, James v Curry, the Kentucky derby and more
- The Week in Sport: Man City get closer to a treble
- Europa League predictions: Can Sevilla beat Juventus?
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups