The Copa America Centenary organizers were left red-faced with embarrassment after they played Chile’s national anthem by mistake for Uruguay’s team in the latter’s match against Mexico on Sunday.
Uruguay players had lined up before kickoff but as the unfamiliar music played over the stadium sound system, Uruguayan players looked around awkwardly not knowing what to do next. The Uruguayan press immediately took offense at what it termed as a disrespectful gesture. Video of the incident is below:
— klubbkidd™ (@klubbkiddkl) June 6, 2016
For their part, the organizers were quick to recognize their mistake and rectify it, while also issuing an immediate apology:
Mexico comfortably won their game against Uruguay 3-1 in a match that saw both sides get a red card, the earliest own goal in Copa America history (in the fourth minute) and a late double-salvo in the 85th and 90th minutes by Mexico to close out a game they dominated in possession.
Earlier on the weekend, Brazil could only draw their opening game against Ecuador while hosts USA were easily beaten by Colombia in the opening game on Friday night.
Argentina play Chile on Monday.
- Premier League Matchday 22 Predictions & How to Watch
- Everton confirm Sean Dyche as their new manager
- Babar Azam wins ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award
- FA Cup Fourth Round Predictions and how to watch
- Chelsea reignite interest in Everton star Anthony Gordon
- Carabao Cup semi-finals Preview – Prediction & how to watch
- PSL 8 Live Streaming, TV Channels, Schedule, Squads & Preview
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Premier League: Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview