The video below may well be slightly unnerving and cringeworthy, but it is yet another example of Manchester United’s innovative ways of monetizing the club’s fame.
With a furore around the new X-Men Apocalypse movie, the Old Trafford club have become involved in promoting the film’s release.
As can be seen in the video below, Wayne Rooney is asked by the movie’s heroes to help them in their latest quest to save humanity, while both David De Gea and Anthony Martial also star.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 20, 2016
The video is sure to help opposition supporters attack Rooney, with the United captain’s blushes potentially on show at Wembley as his side take on Crystal Palace in the FA Cup final later today.
The latest ploy to make money from the Red Devils brand adds to an array of sponsorship agreements that United have signed up over recent years.
As well as their major partnerships with the likes of Adidas and Chevrolet, the Premier League side also have an official diesel engine partner and official savoury snack partner – with seemingly every opportunity to make money capitalized upon.
In the latest figures released by Forbes, United are third in the global rich list behind Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.
- “Not my choice to race in Saudi Arabia” – Lewis Hamilton unhappy to be a part of the country’s ‘sports-washing’
- Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player to break the 800-goal barrier in top-level football
- WTA suspends all tennis tournaments in China amidst concerns over Peng Shuai: Why it can affect all future tennis tournaments
- Barcelona targeting ace Chelsea defender: Will he leave Stamford Bridge next year?
- IPL list of players retained ahead of Mega Auction – Were CSK right to retain MS Dhoni?