The video below may well be slightly unnerving and cringeworthy, but it is yet another example of Manchester United’s innovative ways of monetizing the club’s fame.
With a furore around the new X-Men Apocalypse movie, the Old Trafford club have become involved in promoting the film’s release.
As can be seen in the video below, Wayne Rooney is asked by the movie’s heroes to help them in their latest quest to save humanity, while both David De Gea and Anthony Martial also star.
Anything for the team you say, @WayneRooney? Good luck! #XMenApocalypse https://t.co/ym1XtMansq
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 20, 2016
The video is sure to help opposition supporters attack Rooney, with the United captain’s blushes potentially on show at Wembley as his side take on Crystal Palace in the FA Cup final later today.
The latest ploy to make money from the Red Devils brand adds to an array of sponsorship agreements that United have signed up over recent years.
As well as their major partnerships with the likes of Adidas and Chevrolet, the Premier League side also have an official diesel engine partner and official savoury snack partner – with seemingly every opportunity to make money capitalized upon.
In the latest figures released by Forbes, United are third in the global rich list behind Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win
- This Week In Sport: Tough times for Arsenal, James v Curry, the Kentucky derby and more
- The Week in Sport: Man City get closer to a treble
- Europa League predictions: Can Sevilla beat Juventus?
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups