While Round 1 of the NFL Draft went somewhat to plan, Rounds 2 and 3 have been significantly more surprising.
Laremy Tunsil’s social media misfortune aside, the first round saw few shocks with quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson being the top two picks as had been predicted.
Michigan State’s Connor Cook was expected by many people to be the fourth quarterback selected, but New York Jets’ decided to pick Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg instead.
With USC’s Cody Kessler and North Carolina State’s Jacoby Brissett also being drafted, to the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots respectively, Cook now finds himself amongst the top options entering the third day.
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah had ranked Alabama defensive tackle Jarran Read as the 13th-best player, but the depth of talent in his position saw him fall to the 49th pick overall when he was chosen by the Seattle Seahawks.
Reed says he had a feeling he would end up in Seattle.
“I thought it was going to happen yesterday with the last pick, but I knew today,” he said.
“Right before it happened I told my mom, I said, ‘Mom, I’m going to go to the Seahawks.’ I’ve been talking about the Seahawks ever since the Senior Bowl.
“I’m just really excited and happy that it happened.”
In last year’s draft the Dallas Cowboys took a risk in the second round when they picked Randy Gregory.
Concerns over failed drug tests saw the defensive end drop to 60th overall pick and we went on to produce a disappointing first season with the Cowboys.
This time around they have chosen Jaylon Smith despite the fact he may miss the season after undergoing knee surgery.
Owner and general manager Jerry Jones acknowledged the pick was a risk but says Smith’s future potential was their main consideration.
“We’re not buying bonds here,” Jones said. “This isn’t risk-free. You can have one and have no medical issue, and he’s riding a bicycle and can have a medical issue.
“There’s all kinds of risk when dealing with the human factor and all these things that happen.
“So, not to get smug, but when you’ve got a player we think can be a cornerstone defensive player, a real impactful player, a player we’ve got in our top five – it’s within our tolerance to risk-taking to use that pick.”
Second Round Selections
- 2.01 Cleveland Browns: DE Emmanuel Ogbah
- 2.02 Tennessee Titans: DE Kevin Dodd
- 2.03 Dallas Cowboys: OLB Jaylon Smith
- 2.04 San Diego Chargers: TE Hunter Henry
- 2.05 Jacksonville Jaguars: OLB Myles Jack
- 2.06 Kansas City Chiefs: DT Chris Jones
- 2.07 Miami Dolphins: CB Xavien Howard
- 2.08 Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OLB Noah Spence
- 2.09 New York Giants: WR Sterling Shepard
- 2.10 Buffalo Bills: ILB Reggie Ragland
- 2.11 Baltimore Ravens: LB Kamalei Correa
- 2.12 Tennessee Titans: DT Austin Johnsoa
- 2.13 Oakland Raiders: DE Jihad Ward
- 2.14 Tennessee Titans: RB Derrick Henry
- 2.15 Detroit Lions: DT A’Shawn Robinson
- 2.16 New Orleans Saints: WR Michael Thomas
- 2.17 Green Bay Packers: OT Jason SpriggS
- 2.18 Seattle Seahawks: DT Jarran Reed
- 2.19 Houston Texans: C Nick Martin
- 2.20 New York Jets: QB Christian Hackenberg
- 2.21 Atlanta Falcons: LB Deion Jones
- 2.22 Washington Redskins: LB Su’a Cravens
- 2.23 Minnesota Vikings: CB Mackensie Alexander
- 2.24 Cincinnati Bengals: WR Tyler Boyd
- 2.25 Chicago Bears: G Cody Whitehair
- 2.26 Indianapolis Colts: CB T. J. Green
- 2.27 Pittsburgh Steelers: S Sean Davis
- 2.28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers: K Roberto Aguayo
- 2.29 New England Patriots: CB Cyrus Jones
- 2.30 New Orleans Saints: S Vonn Bell
- 2.31 Carolina Panthers: CB James Bradberry
- 2.32 Denver Broncos: DT Adam Gotsis
Third Round Selections
- 3.01 Tennessee Titans: S Kevin Byard
- 3.02 Cleveland Browns: DE Carl Nassib
- 3.03 San Diego Chargers: C Max Tuerk
- 3.04 Dallas Cowboys: DT Maliek Collins
- 3.05 San Francisco 49ers: CB Will Redmond
- 3.06 Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Yannick Ngakoue
- 3.07 Baltimore Ravens: DE Bronson Kaufusi
- 3.08 New York Giants: S Darian Thompson
- 3.09 Chicago Bears: DT Jonathan Bullard
- 3.10 Miami Dolphins: RB Kenyan Drake
- 3.11 Kansas City Chiefs: CB Keivarae Russell
- 3.12 Oakland Raiders: DE Shilique Calhoun
- 3.13 Cleveland Browns: OT Shon Coleman
- 3.14 Carolina Panthers: CB Daryl Worley
- 3.15 New England Patriots: G Joe Thuney
- 3.16 Philadelphia Eagles: C Isaac Seumalo
- 3.17 Buffalo Bills: DT Adolphus Washington
- 3.18 Atlanta Falcons: TE Austin Hooper
- 3.19 Indianapolis Colts: OT Le’Raven Clark
- 3.20 New York Jets: OLB Jordan Jenkins
- 3.21 Washington Redskins: CB Kendall Fuller
- 3.22 Houston Texans: WR Braxton Miller
- 3.23 Miami Dolphins: WR Leonte Carroo
- 3.24 Cincinnati Bengals: ILB Nick Vigil
- 3.25 Green Bay Packers: OLB Kyler Fackrell
- 3.26 Pittsburgh Steelers: DT Javon Hargrave
- 3.27 Seattle Seahawks: RB C. J. Prosise
- 3.28 Kansas City Chiefs: Selection forfeited for violating Anti-Tampering policy.
- 3.29 New England Patriots: QB Jacoby Brissett
- 3.30 Arizona Cardinals: CB Brandon Williams
- 3.31 Cleveland Browns: QB Cody Kessler
- 3.32 Seattle Seahawks: TE Nick Vannett
- 3.33 Detroit Lions: C Graham Glasgow
- 3.34 New England Patriots: DT Vincent Valentine
- 3.35 Seattle Seahawks: OT Rees Odhiambo
- 3.36 Denver Broncos: S Justin Simmons
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Best Soccer Games To Watch In June 2023
- The Week in Sport: Bayern Munich and PSG win league titles, Verstappen wins in Monaco
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win