One of the most popular female wrestlers in WWE history has been found dead at the age of 45.
Chyna, whose real name was Joan Marie Laurer, was found dead in Redondo Beach, southern California, on Wednesday.
Police confirmed they were called by a friend who became concerned after not hearing from Laurer for several days.
Sergeant Shawn Freeman said: “The exact nature and cause of the death, as well as the general time of death is under investigation by the Los Angeles County Coroner’s department.”
A message on her verified Twitter account confirmed the news:
“It is with deep sadness to inform you today that we lost a true icon, a real life superhero,” it said. “Joanie Laurer aka Chyna, the 9th wonder of the world has passed away.
“She will live forever in the memories of her millions of fans and all of us that loved her.”
#RipChyna ?????? all of us on team Chyna love you and will love you forever babe.
— Chyna (@ChynaJoanLaurer) April 21, 2016
TMZ quoted anonymous sources as saying police were investigating a possible drug overdose, adding that prescription bottles – but no illegal drugs – were found at the home.
Laurer turned to the fitness industry to escape a difficult childhood and came to prominence as the character ‘Chyna’ in the WWE during the 1990s.
She initially worked as an enforcer for Triple H, before going on to establish herself as the leading female wrestler in the world.
Chyna is the only female wrestler to win the WWE Intercontinental Championship and also held the Women’s Championship for 231 days in 2001.
The only women to win the @WWE #ICTitle @ChynaJoanLaurer #RIPChyna
9th Wonder of The World. pic.twitter.com/Zp9zJUd48F
— Louie VenÜura ? (@LouieVentura) 21 April 2016
Her final WWE appearance came at the Judgement Day pay-per-view in the same year.
In 2004 she began a career in pornography, with her work in the adult industry the reason she has not been inducted into the WWE’s Hall of Fame.
The WWE’s Chief Brand Officer, Stephanie McMahon, posted a tribute message on her Twitter page.
I just heard the tragic news that @ChynaJoanLaurer has passed. She was truly a pioneer in our industry, and she will be missed. #RIPChyna
— Stephanie McMahon (@StephMcMahon) 21 April 2016
The WWE also added their condolences on Twitter.
We are saddened to learn of the passing of Joanie "Chyna" Laurer. https://t.co/EgNstScdcD #RIPChyna pic.twitter.com/oLSB509p7p
— WWE (@WWE) April 21, 2016
Laurer’s passing is the latest in a long line of deaths to hit the wrestling industry, with ‘Iron’ Mike Sharpe and Axl Rotten two of the leading names who have died in 2016.
Some huge names were on the list of wrestler deaths in 2015, including ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes and Buddy Landel.
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Best Soccer Games To Watch In June 2023
- The Week in Sport: Bayern Munich and PSG win league titles, Verstappen wins in Monaco
- The Week in Sport: Manchester City win third Premier League league title in a row, Dortmund one win away from first Bundesliga League title since 2012
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Hull tips Ovechkin to overhaul Gretzky’s goal record
- The Week in Sport: Barcelona win La Liga, City close in on third successive Premier League title
- Who will win the Premier League top-four race?
- The Week in Sport: Real Madrid win Copa Del Ray, Verstappen storm to Miami win