American runner Molly Huddle claimed a dramatic last-gasp victory in the New York City Half Marathon on March 20th, but allegations she held an opponent back at the finish line have emerged.
The 31-year-old was locked in a race to the finish line with Joyce Chepkirui of Kenya, with it appearing that the eventual winner blocked the African runner’s path at the last minute – as can be seen in the video below.
The pair were both given the time of 1:07:41, with Huddle recording victory by the smallest of margins – .08 of a second.
Chepkirui has not made a complaint about what happened and Huddle’s win is set to stand.
The prize money for the race was $20,000, with the Kenyan claiming $10,000 for finishing second.
— NewYorkRoadRunners (@nyrr) March 24, 2016
When asked about the incident, Huddle maintained her innocence.
“I kind of was just trying to get my body across the line and not fall at the same time,” she said.
So that’s just — like I wasn’t even conscious of what my arms were doing. Yeah, I just was trying to get there. I was pretty tired.”
- “Not my choice to race in Saudi Arabia” – Lewis Hamilton unhappy to be a part of the country’s ‘sports-washing’
- Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player to break the 800-goal barrier in top-level football
- WTA suspends all tennis tournaments in China amidst concerns over Peng Shuai: Why it can affect all future tennis tournaments
- Barcelona targeting ace Chelsea defender: Will he leave Stamford Bridge next year?
- IPL list of players retained ahead of Mega Auction – Were CSK right to retain MS Dhoni?