American runner Molly Huddle claimed a dramatic last-gasp victory in the New York City Half Marathon on March 20th, but allegations she held an opponent back at the finish line have emerged.
The 31-year-old was locked in a race to the finish line with Joyce Chepkirui of Kenya, with it appearing that the eventual winner blocked the African runner’s path at the last minute – as can be seen in the video below.
The pair were both given the time of 1:07:41, with Huddle recording victory by the smallest of margins – .08 of a second.
Chepkirui has not made a complaint about what happened and Huddle’s win is set to stand.
The prize money for the race was $20,000, with the Kenyan claiming $10,000 for finishing second.
— NewYorkRoadRunners (@nyrr) March 24, 2016
When asked about the incident, Huddle maintained her innocence.
“I kind of was just trying to get my body across the line and not fall at the same time,” she said.
So that’s just — like I wasn’t even conscious of what my arms were doing. Yeah, I just was trying to get there. I was pretty tired.”
- Mikel Arteta’s response on whether Arsenal are genuine Premier League title contenders
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sports Personalities That Enjoy Playing at Casinos
- Best Football Games To Watch In October
- Kai Havertz performance for Germany hints at Chelsea revival
- Liverpool handed big boost as Mohamed Salah to return early from international duty
- Liverpool will have to pay a huge €60m for highly-rated Brazilian midfielder
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’