Police in the US say legendary X Games biker Dave Mirra has died aged 41 after apparently committing suicide.
Officers in North Carolina found his body in his truck on Thursday with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound. He is believed to have been visiting friends in the area.
The former BMX champion was one of the most successful athletes in X Games history, winning 14 gold medals between 1995 and 2008.
In 2000, he was the first rider to land a double backflip and in 2009 he sensationally completed a 360 no-handed backflip.
In recent times he competed in Rallycross, before moving into triathlons where he qualified for the Ironman World Championship in Canada in 2014.
“Ironman competitions are an entirely different ballgame,” he told Sports Illustrated at the time.
“The level of competition is much higher, and there are way more athletes. It was extremely satisfying to look around and see what I consider the best athletes in the world as my competition.”
Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas described Mirra as “a great friend and wonderful human being”.
“We mourn the loss today of a great friend and wonderful human being who touched the lives of so many around the world with his gift,” he said.
“He called Greenville, North Carolina, home and was as humble a guy talking with kids on a street corner about bikes as he was in his element on the world stage.
“A young life with so much to offer was taken too soon.”
Professional skateboarder Tony Hawk and motocross star Carey Hart took to Twitter to remember Mirra, who leaves behind his wife, Lauren, and two daughters – Mackenzie and Madison.
Just a few hours before his death, he posted a photo of himself and Lauren on Instagram saying ‘My rock! Thank God’, while his last Tweet was sent in December where he expressed his sadness about the death of Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland.
- Mikel Arteta’s response on whether Arsenal are genuine Premier League title contenders
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Sports Personalities That Enjoy Playing at Casinos
- Best Football Games To Watch In October
- Kai Havertz performance for Germany hints at Chelsea revival
- Liverpool handed big boost as Mohamed Salah to return early from international duty
- Liverpool will have to pay a huge €60m for highly-rated Brazilian midfielder
- Arsene Wenger thinks Arsenal have a good chance of lifting Premier League trophy
- Chelsea dismiss commercial director after just two weeks over ‘inappropriate messages’