Stephen Curry inspired Golden State Warriors to their 35th victory of the NBA season with a dominant display against Sacramento Kings on Saturday.
Curry bagged 38 points and 11 assists in a 128-116 win over the Kings at Sleep Train Arena, keeping them on course to beat the 1995/96 Chicago Bulls regular-season record of 72 victories. At 35-2, the Warriors now have the best ever start to an NBA season.
If Curry was hindered by his leg injury which has seen him wear shin pads for extra protection, it didn’t show during a performance which at times strayed into Harlem Globetrotters territory.
After seeing Curry dazzle the Kings with a series of ridiculous plays and his usual array of long-distance shots, Warriors’ coach Luke Walton said: “I’m glad he’s on our team – he’s pretty impressive.”
There was a third quarter effort where Curry dribbled and lost the ball twice before regaining control to score – but the coup de grace came in the fourth quarter with Curry’s confidence matched by his unbelievable talent.
A quick series of passing left Curry wide open for a three-pointer, which saw Curry turn around to talk to the Kings’ bench before beginning to run back up the court, all before the shot found its way into the basket.
The game was the second time Curry took to the court wearing shin pads after introducing them in Friday’s 128-108 victory at Portland Timbers.
He originally suffered a lower-leg injury at the end of December, before picking up the shin injury against the Denver Nuggets on 2nd January.
After aggravating it again during Tuesday night’s win over the Los Angeles Lakers following a collision with Roy Hibbert, Curry decided to take preventive action.
Despite the game being held 80 miles north east of Golden State’s home in Oakland, Warriors’ fans made up a significant portion of the sell-out 17,317 crowd and they were pleased with what they saw.
The victory gave Golden State a clean sweep of their four-game season series against the Kings and they have now beaten Sacramento 12 straight times.
Curry and the Warriors are back in action on Monday night at home to Miami Heat.
- Babar Azam wins ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award
- FA Cup Fourth Round Predictions and how to watch
- Chelsea reignite interest in Everton star Anthony Gordon
- Carabao Cup semi-finals Preview – Prediction & how to watch
- PSL 8 Live Streaming, TV Channels, Schedule, Squads & Preview
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Premier League: Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview
- Carabao Cup Quarter-Final draw: Manchester United face Charlton, City take on Southampton
- How much money will Arsenal and Chelsea receive in FIFA club payments from World Cup