Novak Djokovic continued his recent dominance over Andy Murray to secure the Paris Masters title for the third time in a row. It took the Serbian just 90 minutes to seal a 6-2, 6-4 win to claim a record fourth title in Paris.
The result marked the world number one’s 10th success against Murray from their last 11 meetings, also earned Djokovic a 10th title of the season plus a new record six Masters titles in one calendar year.
He now has 22 straight wins having not lost since the final in Cincinnati in August and has played in 14 consecutive finals – another new record.
Murray made too many unforced errors against an in-form Djokovic, who has now beaten him in six of their seven encounters this year.
The British number one competed better than their last meeting in Shanghai in October when he was demolished 6-1 6-3 in the semi-finals, but he was still unable to break the hold the Serb currently has over him.
Djokovic, who has lost only five matches this year, dominated from the outset, breaking in the third and seventh games, to claim the first set after just 42 minutes.
Murray put up more of a fight in the second despite being broken in the third game. He broke back to love to level at 2-2, but Djokovic punished the Scot’s dip in intensity in the seventh game to secure the crucial break.
Djokovic said: “It was a tough match and I wish Andy all the best for the rest of the season, both in London and the Davis Cup Final. I know he wants to do well.”
Murray hit twice as many winners as Djokovic, but 34 unforced errors were simply too many and he did not serve well enough to apply any meaningful pressure on his opponent.
“It’s progress,” said Murray of reaching his first Paris Masters Final. “We’ll try next year to go one better. Congratulations to Novak for another fantastic week. He fully deserves the number one spot. Hopefully I can get a bit closer next year.”
Djokovic is now the hot favourite to successfully defend his title at the ATP World Tour Finals in London starting next week.
- Everton face crucial month of March that could define their season
- Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Porto vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- NBA 2023/24: 4 Main Contenders for the Championship
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – prediction, team News, line-ups
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups